Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Different Orbs...

There's a local watering hole that I've gone to weekly with a good friend for quite some time. We're regulars there and they know us by name. He's one of the very few men in my life that I know will give me unbiased advice concerning men and romantic relations without having his own romantic agenda. Women, if you have a friend like this, you know that they are worth their weight in gold.

Well, I had been pining over someone and something that happened yesterday. It really got to me, more than I wanted it to. I talked with a girlfriend in California about it. I met up with another girlfriend in the early evening. And then later on in the evening, I talked to him. I was furious. Both girlfriends suggested to cut all ties and that had been my emotional leaning upon the receipt of some news. I was in pain and I wanted to run for the hills.

After a couple hours of talking and partaking in our normal sarcastic routine of joking about anything under the sun at the bar, I couldn't stuff my true emotions any longer. More than angry, I was hurt. He noticed it and I started talking from the heart, telling him what was really on my mind. And unlike my female friends, he was able to give a unique perspective, a male perspective. The more he talked, the more I understood that men and women truly are from different planets. On the surface I'd known that for quite some time, but I didn't know the details of how different we really are. We function so differently its mind blowing. As he let me in on that perspective, it was immensely helpful. The more he talked, the more I understood and the more I could emotionally and mentally breathe. I'd even go as far to say that it was what he said that saved another relationship from being wrongfully thrown away. He had nineth hour words of wisdom and insight that a woman could never give. She couldn't give them not because she doesn't want to, but because she's not a man.

So here's to good friends, wisdom, and the oposite perspective. I wouldn't trade my girlfriends in for the world, but there are some things we as women just don't get without consulting the other side.

No comments: